Two Important Proteins For Your Skin – Collagen And Elastin
- Posted on: Mar 30 2016
Here’s some thought-provoking information as you transition from spring to summer: It should be one of your top priorities to take care of your skin – to do all you can to maintain it’s flexibility and firmness. Two important proteins, elastin and collagen, play an important role in your skin’s appearance. You may have heard of them, but how much do you know about them?
- Elastin helps keep your skin counter the effects of gravity by helping it maintain its flexibility and elasticity. There is less elastin in your body than collagen, but they work together to keep your skin looking young.
- Collagen is abundant in your skin, nails, hair, muscles, tendons, and other parts of your body. It is a necessary component of your body’s connective tissue. Collagen helps your skin stay smooth and firm. It also aids in the formation of new skin cells and keeps harmful toxins at bay.
- Aging slowly robs your body of these critical proteins resulting in saggy, thin, loose skin which is easily damaged and more susceptible to the pull of gravity. Wrinkles appear, and along with them, jowls or a double chin.
- It’s impossible to prevent the march of time, but there are some things you can do to protect the elastin and collagen in your body and keep your skin looking young for as long as possible:
- Stop smoking- it’s responsible for many of the lines and wrinkles that form around the mouth.
- Avoid ultraviolet sun damageby always wearing sunscreen.
- Eat well; eat clean; avoid sugars and processed foods.
- Replenish collagenwith a dermal filler – We offer a number of cosmetic treatments that can counter the effects of aging. Popular dermal fillers, such as Belotero®, use hyaluronic acid to restore lost volume to your face and smooth your skin. Others, such as Juvéderm™, stimulate your body’s production of collagen, for natural, and long-lasting results.
Are you curious about the many skin-care treatments we offer at Callender Cosmetic Surgery? Call to schedule an appointment to learn more about the safe, non-surgical procedures we offer to help reduce the visible signs of aging: (301) 249-0970.
Posted in: Skin-care Treatments