The Do’s and Don’ts of Acne Pustules
- Posted on: Nov 30 2015
Acne is a self-esteem deflater, a self-confidence killer and a devastating skin condition.
Among the more severe types of acne are pustules, often found in clusters affecting your face, neck or back.
Acne pustules are small to medium sized round bumps which have a white or yellow dot in their center. This is an indication of infection and pus in the pustule. Commonly, there is also a red area around the pustule due to the infection under the skin. Acne pustules can be embarrassing, painful, difficult to get rid of on your own and very hard to treat.
Touching and squeezing and popping, OH NO!
The desire of most people who have acne is to push, squeeze, pop, or manipulate it in some way…but that is not what you should do.
Squeezing and popping can leave an open wound on your face which can easily become infected with bacteria, leading to the continuation of the acne and eventually, scarring. Squeezing also pushes the infection farther down under the skin, leading to more pustules and infection. It is easy to see how touching, squeezing and popping can quickly get out of hand.
If your acne pustules are a consistent and serious problem, a visit to Dr. Callender is a wise choice.
You may have tried over-the-counter products, but they rarely have the strength that is needed to completely clear up the problem. Dr. Callender can advise a combination of products to not only treat your pustules, but also help make your skin soft and moisturized.
- Don’t squeeze or pop a pustule, as you can easily make one acne pustule turn into three.
- Don’t touch your face during the day, as that transfers germs, bacteria and dirt.
- Don’t use exfoliating scrubs too often.
- Do make sure to wash your face daily with a doctor-recommended cleanser.
- Do look for cleansers with either alpha hydroxy acids (lactic or glycolic) or beta hydroxy acids (salicyclic), or even better, a combination of the two.
- Do wash your pillowcase often.
- Do give us a call at Callender Cosmetic Centerand let us help you treat your severe acne. Your skin will thank you!
Posted in: Acne Treatment